Monday 12 July 2010

Mochi!

While I was in California last summer, staying with my lovely American exchange family (from school in 2005) they hosted Shabbat dinner for lots of family friends and someone brought these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mochi_ice_cream
Not your traditional Jewish food, but really nice. Hooray for multicultural LA.

Here's the box:
mochi ice cream
And a cross-section
Innards: Pistachio Ice Cream Mochi
ice cream mochi
Many mochi!. Possibly fake, but very Japanese in that.

It seems that they're an adaptation of mochi, which originates in Japan. It is essentially glutenous rice paste with some sort of flavouring (often green tea), usually formed into balls or cubes or used to make other sorts of sweets. Ice cream mochi is a twist on the more usual "daifuku", mochi with a sweet filling, usually red or white bean paste.
I'd love to have ice cream mochi again, and to try some plain mochi. I'm not sure where I can get them in the UK but oriental supermarkets and Japanese restaurants seem like a good place to start. Until then I can console (or possibly antagonise) myself with photos.
Flickr seems to be a great fan of them, probably because they're photogenic and come in nice pastelly colours. Here's a selection (all CC license)

Red leaf shiso mochi
Complete with recipe link, this calls for a visit to an oriental supermarket.

A nice green one, reluctant to be blogged.

Mochi assortment
Some variety.

Here're a couple of fairly simple sounding recipes to finish off:
Extremely simple, possibly heretical, microwave version.
With red bean paste filling.

P.S. In my search I also found a lot of rather cute animals.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for using my mochi pic in your blog entry! Your blog is quite lovely to loo at, too. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ice cream mochi are cute little things, and I always buy at least a couple of boxes when I visit family in Hawaii. Those sesame seed covered ones look especially yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Japan Centre?

    Your background is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Blogspot didn't tell me I had comments :(
    We found some in a shop in London's Chinatown this weekend but I didn't buy any; I probably should have but most of the more reasonably-priced ones had red bean paste in, which I'm not a huge fan of. And the ice-cream ones would've melted. Next time though! I shall investigate the Asian food shops of Bristol too...

    Anna - It was a standard thing but I very like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They have them in Yo! Sushi. I have to admit I didn't really like them though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw these here http://www.waiyeehong.com/ when we went the other day. It's near Ikea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou, I'll have a look when I'm up there :)

    ReplyDelete

Boo!