Monday 13 June 2011

I've been very quiet around these parts of late, but that's mostly because I've been being good and doing University work rather than faffing on the internet. The faff I have allowed myself is over at dichohecho.tumblr.com where I've been posting a picture a day (or as often as I manage) from my Flickr (which is also lagging a bit). I thought I should probably post something on here since Jess linked me :)
So, I shall try and keep this more updated; never mind that the last photos I posted were from September, I'll start afresh.

Here's Sporti:


He's an Iford Sporti 6 and makes square pictures on 120 film. In Niall's words the English Holga (well English company, they were made in Germany). He works a lot more reliably than a Holga though, no wrapping him up in electrical tape to avoid light leaks, plus a choice of apertures!
Of course he still has no metering so I have to guess (or use my ME Super to meter) but *so far* I've managed alright. Being a Sporti 6 rather than an earlier version he has double exposure prevention, but I don't mind too much. I've got my Lubitel(assuming it works) for that!

Here are some photos from my first film, shot on a cold, grey & misty February Sunday.

 Up in Kingsdown, I love these narrow streets that give you a slice of view down to the city centre.

Shiny old car, Kingsdown Parade 

 Ben on his bike

Me, taking a Bristol cliché photo

When I developed these it was pretty hot and I had a massive special and merrily started developing the roll with the chemicals I'd used for my 35mm films. Just as I started agitating the tank I realised I should have a couple of hundred ml more developer in there. Oops.
I hastily made up some more and chucked it in and carried on, for the stop & fix I just used the smaller amount and agitated it more than you're meant to. Amazingly they came out ok, you can see tide marks vertically on some of the photos, but clearly that's the aesthetic I'm going for, yeah?
They could still be horrible negatives but the lovely Niall scanned them for me so I got away with that one.
Next time I will get it right. I hope.

8 comments:

  1. those pics look great. what other film cameras do you own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I've got a King Regula Sprinty BC, a Pentax ME Super and a Lubitel 2 which work, and an Agfa Optima I & Pentax P30T which work a bit, and a Bootsamica and Agfa Silette which don't work at all! (but they're pretty)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These square photos are so cute, that camera is such a classic. :)


    xoxo,
    Addie
    The Cat Hag
    Join My Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks :) Hopefully I'll have more film developed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow the photos are great! i love the vinage quality of them, good old niall xxx

    http://ronanronanronan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I still think actual film is nicer than Photoshop actions for that.
    He's a good boy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh great results. Gotta love film!
    I've got this one too http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Agfa_Isolette_II which is rather lovely and much more control over exposure.

    ReplyDelete

Boo!